At least six people were killed after gunmen opened fire at a Quebec City mosque during evening prayers, the mosque’s president said on Sunday.
The attack came as Canada announced it would open its doors to refugees after US President Donald Trump on Friday issued an executive order barring entry to the US from seven predominantly Muslim countries.
A witness said that gunmen fired on about 40 people inside the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Centre.
“We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge,” said Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
A Quebec City police spokesman said two suspects were arrested. Police said the mosque had been evacuated and the situation was under control.