Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said on Sunday that Moscow had not reached an agreement with the United States for opposition fighters in Syria’s Aleppo to have safe passage out of the city, RIA news agency reported.
Opposition officials told Reuters earlier on Sunday that a proposal had been tabled by the two countries for fighters to leave the city with their families and other civilians.
“What western agencies are reporting does not necessarily correspond with reality,” Ryabkov said, adding that Russia was working to create the necessary conditions for the safe extraction of people from Aleppo.
“The issue of withdrawing militants is the subject of separate agreements. This agreement has not yet been reached, largely because the United States insists on unacceptable terms,” RIA quoted him as saying.
Ryabkov said that talks between Russian and U.S. experts would continue in Geneva, RIA reported.