At least 11 people have been kiled and over 10 injured after a car bomb targeted the seaport in the Somali capital Mogadishu on Sunday morning.

Col. Bashkir Abshir Gedi, Mogadishu police chief confirmed the death toll so far  to Anadolu Agency.

“We confirm that 11 people have been killed and more than 10 others wounded. ” Bashir said over the phone.

Al-Qaeda-affiliated group al-Shabaab have claimed responsibility for the attack, claiming it had killed 30 people and injured 50 others.

somali

Earlier on Sunday, Abdifatah Omar Hallane, Banadir regional administration spokesman, confirmed to Anadolu Agency that the blast was caused by a car bomb.

Abdirahmaan Mo’alim Abshir, an eyewitness who was at the scene, told Anadolu Agency over the phone that he had seen six lifeless bodies.

“I was at the seaport entrance when the car exploded. I saw at least six dead bodies including women. After the blast, Somali security forces arrived the scene,” Abshir Said.

The Mogadishu seaport — the largest in the country — is managed by the Turkish company Albayrak.

Sunday’s blast comes a day after another car bomb attack — for which the al-Shabaab group also claimed responsibility — targeted U.S.-trained Somali special forces on the outskirts of Mogadishu, claiming the lives of at least four people.

No more articles